RED HAT LINUX ADMINISTRATOR, SR. SYSTEMS ENGINEER, PROGRAMMER ANALYST, DBA(ORACLE, SQL SERVER, MYSQL)
- Maintained and monitored systems to poll live Information via SNMP from the switch network through a function unique only to USWEST. Created Shell scripts to maintain the flow and monitor abnormalities in the system operation. Submitted several patents through USWEST for some of the software ideas. Backup for MDS security, utilizing Checkpoint Firewall. Created several different Firewall profiles in System Setup from Hardening to Installation of Software.
- Took Several Security Courses to Learn Vulnerability and weak points in Systems as well as Network management. Involved in the upgrade and installation of new firewalls as well as the Management of new and existing firewalls. Worked with various SNMP enabled Management Agents (Cisco Wan Manager, Concord, netcool, Tivoli, and Spectrum). Detailed testing was run on several different Management agents. Used a version of Castle Rocks SNMPc in demo mode to provide the proof that its GUI interface allowed for better utilization of CSRs. Configured customer routers and switches. Developed internal web site utilizing CGI scripting and Perl to access Oracle 8i DB in a UNIX environment. Developed UI for the windows desktop. Provided a better web configuration for presentation of customer reports. Used HP Openview to manage and monitor Specific Web Servers and Systems. Created and maintained several web sites utilizing the apache web server. Installed and compiled added features.
- Was responsible for monitoring Customer networks utilizing Concord Network Health providing 24/7/365 support and complete systems ownership for MDS services. My Internal Client base spanned 300-400 users. The monitoring Service spanned Several Countries outside the US and Coast to Coast inside the US.
- Utilized MYSQL and Perl and SQL to provide near real-time redundancy for concord network health due to the inability of concord to directly export from its internal ingress database to another instance of Ingres. Created shell schema that mimicked ingress instance and exported concord data structure into it to provide near real-time. Provided fail-over down to a 15 minute poll cycle in a 100,000+ element environment. Administered MySql as well as update and patching. All interaction with database is through several Perl scripts.
- Utilized MYSQL to hold router and password information allow for quick and automated router rebuilds as well as Router change configurations on the fly in a 10+ router environment.
- Developed Disaster Recovery Plans to allow for recovery. Provided Backup/Restore Process using Legato Automated backup.
- Utilized VERITAS in performing backup of all systems created at us west through the backup team.
- Created several migration plans involving the move of java applications, networking applications and databases from local data center to multiple locations in the 13 state region of our service area.
- Implemented those disaster recovery plans for government and corporate requirements.
Process Methodologies: Understand and practice generally accepted systems management and IT operations strategies and methodologies such as ISO, ITIL, and a custom ITIL-based methodology; perform IT process evaluation, gap analysis, and IT process re-mapping and re-structuring projects.
Project Management: Cultivate and improve ability to analyze, architect, and manage project plans for IT tool implementation, configuration, development and customization, and operations; perform client project management role, interacting with IT management, developers, architects, analysts, and vendors.
- Co-Administered one of the Largest Linux Networks in the Country spanning several states and several major Cities.
- I was also back up administrator for our large AIX repository that our backup software and some of our monitoring software were run upon.
- Utilized Perl to do most of the scripting and several other scripting languages i.e. TKL, expect to do remote login shells to do remote scripts across our Network and onto others.
- Used RRDTool and Perl to create graphical charts. The same API Interfaces were used for several Java projects - some of the projects included traversing across the Internet while maintaining security with encryption and utilizing Sun Java and RMI methods. Tivoli was used For the Network Intrusion and the Web based Intrusion features. Several different Servers Utilizing both Microsoft and Solaris OSs. The Tivoli machine was utilized to monitor both which were split between Internal facing Customers and External facing customers. Handled the Installs of Tivoli as well as the configuration. Utilized Crystal reports and VB 6 to translate data from several Data Sources to present a monthly report for various management personnel. Took Over Responsibility for New 5 Terabyte Oracle Database. Handled Conversion of Database From 7 to 8i. Managed Web Sites that Utilized Apache Web Server to Present Data from Switch Network to internal Customers. Handled Creation of and Implementation of Providing true Redundancy and Fail over of Database to allow for a true sync utilizing Scripts made with Perl and PL/SQL to manipulate large data files and import to fail over system and them into the Fail over Database.
- Created Several Scripts utilizing both Korn and Tkl to interact with several switches and Machines internal to US WEST to provide better information to Customer Service Reps for Interaction with US WEST Business Customers.
- Wrote Scripts in Perl to Handle SQL Statements to extract information From Oracle 8i System and then ftp to secure customer Location on a nightly Basis. Which I automated using the cron in Solaris.
- Rewrote Several Systems to provide better Customer Service and more information to CSR for Better customer relations.
- Managed Over 30 Sun Solaris Systems Ranging from Sun Ultra 10 to 4 Sun 6500. Automated most systems to alert with Pager and e-mail when systems were not functioning properly.
- Created Disaster Recovery Plan for All Systems and Placed Systems in the New Satellite Centers around the Country for security and redundancy purposes.
- Developed and deployed applications in both the windows IIS4 and IIS5 realm with migration Responsibilities.
- Mentored and trained several junior Administrators on System set up and monitoring.
- Played roll in interviewing several candidates for possible employment positions internal to the company in the Systems group and in development.
- Worked with Several Vendors (Sun, Concord, Red Hat, Microsoft, and Oracle).
- Worked out my own contracts and negotiated sales contracts with the Aide of the US West (Now Qwest) Legal Department for service contracts with Vendors.Handled automation of order process using Access DB and VB 6 front end. Then turned around and automated the loading of information into concord network health (which resides on a Unix Server) for a more correct Reflection of the start time of Customer reporting time. This was done with a VB 6 server on Windows 2000 server and then utilizing several API and Security Controls sent via the intranet to the several UNIX boxes that needed the Information.
Handled development tasks for upper management using VB 6 and various reporting tools such as Crystal Reports
- Handled the testing for the .NET (Beta) development environment Wrote Several Applications for the Procurement Department utilizing VB 6 and Oracle DB. Application Handled serial numbers which were then moved from my Oracle Data Warehouse to a Corporate DB Along with other pertinent information.
Led several high Profile Projects as Senior Developer and Project Manager roles Combined.
- Managed several Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4 Server to current patch release of 6a. Handled install and migration From NT4.0 to Windows 2000 Server.
- Utilized Postgres SQL to provide back end data holding for Java app to do data plotting and discover of internal network.
Have Developed Teams from many cross functional Areas and different parts of the country
Managed several Smaller projects dealing with internal and external Services and groups.
Utilized Microsoft SQL Server 2000 for a development database due to the ease of use out of the box and the development Environment being Microsoft VB & VB.NET. While also performing DBA duties and replication of table spaces that were in my Oracle Database for migration purposes.
Re-Wrote several applications utilizing VB.NET for the procurement Department and upper management.
Developed Several Client server apps to handle data migration and testing for correctness and loading into a SQL Server DB that was located in another US West building in Denver then duplicated for Disaster recover purposes.
- Performed utilization of Disaster recovery of Entire 7 TB Oracle Instance following the federal and corporate mandate. This includes writing out detailed plans laying out the design and infrastructure involved including the network switches and routers to be accessed.
Developed Applications to interface with Customer billing systems to accurately reflect customer information to Process customer frame relay orders.